Catalogue | Mixed Squares
2011 – Alexx Meidam Mixed squares (Bergarde Galleries, Heerjansdam)
This publication was published on the occasion of the eponymous solo exhibition Mixed Squares (2014) by the Rotterdam artist Alexx Meidam at Bergarde Galleries.
Alexx Meidam studied at the Willem De Kooning Academy from 1982 to 1987. Meidam is first and foremost a painter. During his studies at the Willem De Kooning Academy (1982-1987), he became acquainted with radically simplified paintings by, among others, the American Robert Ryman and the German painters Georg Baselitz and Markus Lüpertz.
Meidam builds up his work layer by layer with primary colors and other materials (such as charcoal). From the 1990s, Meidam’s work increasingly focuses on the square: “…I experience that a square painted on a rectangle is more square” (quoted from A. Leeuw Marcar, R. Welagen, and P. Molendijk, Alexx Meidam Mixed Squares, Heerjansdam 2014).
More recently, Meidam started painting two canvases with squares simultaneously. Then he cuts the cloths into strips and weaves them together again into a completely new work. The braiding creates a new, and totally surprising, pattern of squares. Meidam calls these layered paintings his ‘Mixed Squares’.
Author(s): Piet Molendijk, Ank Leeuw Marcar, Robbert Welagen
Foreword: Eefje Zalm
Design, lithography, printing: Coolegem Media, Rotterdam
Photography: Jan van der Ploeg
Translation: Textcase, Utrecht
Publisher: Bergarde Galleries
Artist: Alexx Meidam
Dutch and English (bilingual)
Number of pages: 104
The artwork will be packaged by me.
Products will be sent by registered mail with PostNL within 5 working days.
• Pick up at the atelier: free
• Shipping within the Netherlands: € 3.95
• Shipping Europe (zone 1)*: €9.31
• Shipping Europe (zone 2)**: €11.97
• Shipping worldwide: € 14.63
* Europe Zone 1: Belgium, Denmark (excl. Faroe Islands and Greenland), Germany, France (incl. Corsica and Monaco), Italy (excl. San Marino and Vatican City), Luxembourg, Austria, Spain (incl. Balearic Islands, excl. Canary Islands), United Kingdom (excluding Gibraltar and the Channel Islands), Sweden
* Europe Zone 2: Bulgaria, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal (incl. Azores and Madeira), Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic Albania, Andorra, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Canary Islands, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Iceland, Channel Islands, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Ukraine, San Marino, Serbia, Turkey, Vatican City, Belarus, Switzerland